How to get rid of dry skin in winter

One thing I hate about winter is the fact that my skin gets even more dry than it already is! I have struggled a lot with my skin acting up during the cold months and making it so difficult to apply my foundation, however I feel like I have been able to control my skin this winter with a few simple steps which I will be sharing in this post.

An essential step for people with dry skin is exfoliating. So, firstly you should exfoliate your face with a facial scrub, I have been using the St Ives Gentle Apricot Facial Scrub for around 2 years and its the best facial scrub I have ever used, it has not caused any reactions or irritation even though my skin is very sensitive. I think it is very affordable as well, I highly recommend you give it a try!


After you exfoliate and remove all the dead skin from your face, you should apply your moisturiser. A new step I have been trying this winter is that when my skin is extremely dry, after I exfoliate, I apply a small amount of coconut oil to the areas which are very dry. I let it soak into my skin for a few min and if there is any excess I dab it with a tissue to prevent it being oily. I then apply my moisturiser and allow it to be absorbed into my skin. I have been using the same moisturiser for a few years and I have written a blog post on it, if you would like to read about it click here. To update you guys on the moisturiser, it is still the only moisturiser my skin seems to be loving!


Once the moisturiser is absorbed into the skin, I apply my primer. I have been using the Laura Mercier foundation primer oil free, I was surprised that an oil free primer worked for my skin but it helps my foundation go on very smooth and it also makes my makeup stay in place for longer.


Finally, once the primer is also absorbed into the skin, you can apply your foundation. The best way to apply foundation during the winter is using a damp beauty blender or the Real Technique miracle complexion sponge. Always use the sponge when damp, firstly apple the amount you want onto your face using your finger and then using the sponge in dabbing motion blend the foundation into your skin. This method of applying foundation gives a flawless looking base.



My favourite foundation and the one I always go back to is the Estee Lauder Double Wear. I have gone through 4 bottles of this foundation in the past few years! I have tried a few other foundations that people have raved about but nothing has compared to this one. It has great full coverage, you can build it up or use a small amount for medium coverage. It blends well into the skin and it doesn't oxidise or turn patchy throughout the day. To get best result you should apply half of your face first and blend using a sponge straight away then apply the other half, this prevents the foundation drying on your face and so its easier to blend. 

I have heard people say this foundation is not for everyday wear or that it is too heavy on the skin, however I wear this foundation everyday and I don't feel like it is too heavy on my skin at all. My friend has been using it for the same period of time as me and she finds it very comfortable on the skin too. As with any foundation, it can clog up your skin but that is not something uncommon when using makeup products.

To prevent your pores being clogged up try to use charcoal face masks twice a week. I personally apply a face mask at least once at the end of the week to refresh my skin and remove any build up of makeup.

I will be doing a blog post all about my skin care and face masks very soon.

Thank you for reading x

2 comments