How to clean your makeup brushes/ beauty blender


You may be experiencing your skin breaking out and you cant put your finger on what is the cause of it; you may start questioning if you've changed your diet or if it's your skin care products. However, sometimes it is non of the above! There could actually be a simple explanation, you have not been cleaning your makeup brushes/sponges! 


Since I use my make up brushes nearly everyday to apply my makeup it is very important I make sure I keep them clean to prevent built up of dirt and bacteria in the bristles. It can be difficult to remember to clean your brushes or it may feel like an extra task to your already busy life, but I have a very quick, easy and simple way to clean them without feeling like it is taking too much time from your day. Also all the products you need can be found in your kitchen so you don't need to go and find them in stores or online.

I have been using the same method for around 3 years to clean my brushes and it works for me. It has not ruined any of my brushes or damaged the bristles in any way, it still leaves them soft and in the same condition as I first bought them. This is an important factor to take into account because some people may not want to wash their brushes as they think it will change the quality of their expensive brushes, which in my case I have not experienced using my method of cleaning. In fact if you don't clean your brushes for a long period of time, the build up of makeup will cause sharper or more stiff bristles! I have seen this especially in foundation brushes due to foundation being heavy. This can cause irritation to your skin especially if you have sensitive skin and also clearly it has high chance of causing break outs

You may think cleaning your brushes isn't necessary, but I have personally noticed if I avoid cleaning them for longer than two weeks, spots begins to appear on my face and no one wants that! Ideally it is advised we should clean the brushes after every use especially foundation brushes, but I personally haven't been able to to keep up to that and so I make sure I clean them all once a week.

The first product you will need is washing-up liquid, I usually use fairy antibacterial washing up liquid as a disinfectant. Second product you need is olive oil, which prevents the bristles becoming rough due to the washing-up liquid removing all the oils from the bristles. Finally, you need a towel.

So below are the simple steps you need to follow:
Firstly, mix two parts antibacterial washing-up liquid to one part of  olive oil in a bowl.
Second step is the actual cleaning of the brushes, slightly wet each brush before u dip it in to the mix.
Always have the bristles facing down this is to prevent water getting into where the bristles are being held by the glue. 

Gently swirl each brush in the mixture and then into the palm of your hand. You will be able to see the foundation and blush colours coming out the brushes, once you see the bristles are clean, gently rinse the brushes.

Then lay the towel and gently in swirl like motions dry each brush on it. Allow the brushes to dry completely before putting them away.

How to clean a beauty blender: 
The same products as above are required along with same mixture.
Firstly, wet the beauty blender/ sponge and dip into the mixture. 
secondly, place the beauty blender under running water and squeeze it, you will be able to see the foundation being removed.
You can repeat the steps above as many time as you until it is clean. There might be stains on the sponge and you will not be able to remove it with this method but it does not mean your sponge is not clean.
Allow the sponge to dry completely before putting it away.

Thank you for reading x

No comments